How do I know if it’s my transmission that needs repair?
The best, fastest and most reliable way is to ask someone from Budget Transmission Masters, but if you like to DIY, then here are a few clues that your transmission may be in need of repair. The happy truth is that often transmission problems can have a simple and inexpensive solution that involves merely replacing the transmission fluid and filter.
- Leaking transmission fluid is a telltale sign. This is most often the signal that gets folks to a transmission expert. They notice fluid spots in their driveway. Check your transmission fluid levels and also note the color and smell. Automatic transmission fluid is bright red, clear and sweet smelling when all is well. If the transmission fluid level is low, dark and/or has a burnt smell, then it’s time to visit a transmission expert.
- Engine light comes on. This can be an early indicator that something is starting to go wrong with your transmission although the engine light may come on for other reasons as well. If you want to know if your check engine light is telling you about a transmission problem, you can purchase a diagnostic scan tool that you plug into your car underneath the driver’s side of the instrument panel. The scan tool will display a code that corresponds to the area of the vehicle causing the fault. Or, of course, you can take your car into a qualified mechanic and have them identify the issue.
3. Refuses to go into gear. If you have a manual transmission and the transmission refuses to budge when you depress the clutch pedal and attempt to move the stick shifter. Common causes include low transmission fluid, wrong viscosity (thickness) of fluid, or required adjusting of the shift cables or clutch linkage.
4. Transmission is Noisy in Neutral. This symptom might signal something serious such as mechanical wear that will require parts to be replaced for correction.
5. Gear slipping is another sign of transmission problems. Sometimes the car will pop out of gear and back into neutral while you are driving down the road. If this happens, you definitely need a transmission expert.
6. A dragging clutch is another transmission trouble sign. You will know this is the problem with your manual transmission as it is accompanied by a grinding noise when you try to shift gears and can’t because the still engaged clutch is still spinning with the engine. More often than not the problem is too much slack in the clutch pedal.
With an automatic transmission you may feel the car shimmy into each gear rather than the typical almost unnoticeable shifts, or the transmission will make a jarring transition into the next gear. Whether you have a manual or an automatic transmission, if you notice anything other than a smooth transition between gears, it’s time for a professional checkup.
Contact Budget Transmission Masters today. We are Albuquerque’s transmission specialists. For more information on how we might meet your transmission needs, call us at 505-255-8601.